Monday, November 13, 2017

August 2017

Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ

Pictured below is the verse from Isaiah 6:8.  Terry and I made that commitment to God 15 years ago.  It has been the best 15 of our 23 years of marriage.  There is no greater joy than being right where God wants you.  I, Carolyn had committed to full time service to God when I quit my secular job and started There is Hope Christian Ministries in Sedalia, MO.  Then in 1998 I saw some Haiti pictures that Elvis Durrill showed at New Hope Baptist Church.  I looked at Terry and said, "God is calling me to go to Haiti the next time they go."  Terry saw the same pictures and heard the same stories and turned to me and said, "as I have told you before anything that God tells you to do I will support you 100%, but I am never going to Haiti."  Well as you can see now, Terry learned to never say never.
I went to Haiti for the first time in January 1999 for 2 weeks.  I came back never to be the same.  I knew God had more but I had to wait upon Him.  I then made another 2 week trip to Haiti and on that trip God spoke very clear that He had more for us in Haiti, but Terry still had no desire to go.  I then asked some of my prayer partners to pray for Terry and that God would confirm what I heard through Terry.  Some months later we were out driving around, looking at the possibility of down sizing our home and suddenly Terry said, " we may be living in Haiti one day."  I about fainted and looked at him and said, " why did you say that?"  Terry said, " because I know that is on your heart."  Only God could have revealed that to Him and that was my confirmation.  I then told Terry the rest of the story and from that day, Terry began seeking the Lord and a few months later was on his first 2 week trip to Haiti.  The Lord told me to stay home and let him experience it without me and He would take care of the rest.  When Terry returned, he was hooked on Haiti.
Then in 2002 we both committed to the Lord, "Here I am Lord, send me". 
The enemy doesn't like it when one makes that commitment and satan tried several times to keep us from going, but in January 2004 we took our first 6 month adventure of living in Haiti.  There really was not anything that could prepare us for that.  It was the hardest 6 months of our lives, but by the grace of God we survived and returned with the commitment to serve Him in Haiti until He calls us Home or somewhere else.
In 2007 we had problems with the Haitian/American we were working with.  After receiving some threats we felt God was telling us to stay in the states until He sent us back.  Little did we know He already had plans in place for us.  In the beginning of 2008 He sent us on a short mission trip to Mexico, then 3 months to help a group of churches in Clinton, Ok area that worked with Native Americans, then to Clinton, Mo to start a pregnancy center there that later became known as Golden Valley Door of Hope.
Late in 2008 God sent us back to Haiti for a few weeks and for the next four years we were in the USA more than Haiti but would go for a few weeks at a time a couple times a year working with the church and sewing school we had started.  2013 God sent us back to Haiti full time to disciple pastors.  January 2014 we began that season and it is still growing and going strong.  God is our Rock and our Firm Foundation.

We often get questions about how we began the ministry in Haiti so we wanted to share the above testimony with you.
As we began the journey of depending on God, He has always kept His promise that He would never leave us nor forsake us and He would provide for our need.

The ministry in Haiti God has called us to has continued to go well while we have been away.  One thing as missionaries we want to accomplish is disciples making disciples and equipping/teaching those we work with to do the work while we are away and to be able to do it if God calls us away from there.  Rousier and our other worker are doing the children on Thursday's, the school presentations and the new group of young men without our help.  The gold pastors that Terry has been putting extra time into are going to the other groups and teaching what they have been taught without Terry having to go with them.  PRAISE THE LORD!!

Grandchildren are such a special gift and our granddaughter that arrived the end of June is #8 for us.  We have enjoyed the time with her and the rest of our family and friends and will be returning to Haiti the week of Aug 21st.  Thank you for your prayers and support.

Love in Christ
Terry and Carolyn
Psalms 133 ministry to Haiti

No comments:

Post a Comment